Clarke County High School United States
Clarke County schools were all started in the 1920s when the African American community of Josephine City petitioned for the school board to build a school for their children. From this petition, in 1930 the school board built the Clarke County Training School with minimal supplies to have the only black school in Clarke County . The original four room school was expanded in 1944 to accommodate the growing amount of children at the time. Later there was need for more room for the students so a new school was built for the children. The county was able to build a new Intermediate school that was used for 7th and 8th graders. The current middle school for Clarke County was used as high school for a time before it was necessary to have more room. The current Clarke County High School was built in 1987 under the direction of the school board and former Superintendent, Wade Johnson. Over the course of its nearly two decade history, CCHS has distinguished itself as a regional, state, and national leader in academics, activities, and athletics.