The American School Foundation, A.C. Mexico
Kindergartens were a new concept in American education at the time, and Mr. Davis invited his mother-in-law, Mrs. Bessie Files, who had recently completed her training in this innovative approach to the education of young children, to teach in this newly created private school. The first nine students to enroll in Mrs. Files' kindergarten class on August 6, 1888, were children from American, Mexican and British families who wanted the best in modern education taught in English for their children
From the very beginning, then, The American School’s emphasis on the most modern and effective teaching methods, and on a diverse student body, was established. As demand for this American-style education grew, more teachers were hired from the United States and the necessary funds were raised to expand the curriculum and the classrooms. On September 21, 1894, the Mexico Grammar School was formally incorporated, by-laws were adopted, John R. Davis was elected as the first president of the Board and W. M. Taggart was named its first principal. By 1902 the school had enrolled 455 students and a high school had been added to the Grammar School.