King Edward's School, Birmingham was founded in 1552 by Edward VI, one of a number of now famous schools created during the young king's brief reign. Since that time the school has been at the centre of Birmingham life. For centuries this was physically so. The school was sited in the city and the 1838 school, designed by Charles Barry, the architect of the Houses of Parliament, stood in New Street. From about this time a new breed of Headmasters propelled the school to academic eminence, reflecting the growing status and prosperity of the city itself.