Founded in 1948 by the wife of the British Ambassador, Lady Peake, the Foreign Colony School was housed in two rented rooms at the American Mission. One staff member, assisted by mothers, taught elementary children using British texts. The wife of the American Ambassador became the first chairperson of the School Board in 1949.
From 1950-1957, the School grew to be a K-8 school using American Forces’ teaching manuals. In 1952, the name was changed to the International School of Belgrade.